Registration & Student Information
Note there is one time application fee of $100 Canadian that is non-refundable for processing (and to help determine how serious people are), this fee is then deducted from the tuition of any TGWS courses taken.
Payment Schedule and Refunds:
- Tuition for each class must be paid in full no less than one month prior to the course starting date.
- If you must cancel your participation in the class before it has started and you have paid your full tuition you will be eligible for a complete refund, minus the application fee.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to ensure that all admission and funding requirements are met.
- Unfortunately we do not take credit card payment at this time.
- We do accept e-transfers, cheque, money order, travellers cheques or cash.
Tools and Equipment:
- Some tools the student will need to provide and those vary greatly between classes. A tool list will be supplied with each class outline/application.
- The school will provide all stationary, portable power and specialty tools. The school will also supply materials and consumables required to complete all theoretical and practical competency requirements. Students are responsible for acquiring their own hand tools according to a list provided by the school. Students wishing to build a special project aside from those that are part of the course need approval by the instructor prior to the class starting date and the cost of materials for that project are the responsibility of the student.
- Minimum 19 years of age
- Physical ability to do normal workshop tasks (moderate lifting, work standing up, no allergies to epoxy, cedar or other common wood dust).
- Anyone with disabilities is welcome to enroll, but must make it clear in their application the restriction that could impede with learning or would demand extra attention from the instructor.
- Although most classes have no prerequisite skills, it is advantageous to have some knowledge of basic joinery skills or other equivalent skills.
- Class capacity will be posted in course outlines. In general, classes will go ahead only if a minimum of 2 students sign up, to a maximum of 8 students unless otherwise posted for that class. The School strives to give attendees the best teacher-student ratio possible.
- If the class is full you can request to be put onto a first come waiting list for any cancellations. If enough students wish to take a class, another may be presented.
Gabriola is a beautiful Gulf island with restaurants, pubs, and a grocery store and all the amenities you would find in any urban city.
On Gabriola it's easy to find accommodation. Everything from camping, renting a room, marina inns, to B&Bs. The School will provide some assistance connecting potential students with spaces available for the duration of the courses, but it is still the students responsibility make arrangements.
Getting to and About the Island:
Gabriola Ferry Schedule: http://www.bcferries.com/schedules/southern/nhgi-current.php
Gabriola Island Chamber of Commerce: www.gabriolaisland.org/
There is also a community public transit called "Gertie": www.gabriolacommunitybus.com/
Gulf Island Sea Plain http://www.gulfislandseaplanes.com/
To download the Application form (PDF), click here. Or, fill this request form and we'll email you a copy.